The manager said she felt forced to accept the female resident back into the home and put her in self-isolation for 14 days.
The ambulance was from Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust, which said it could not comment on individual cases but stressed that it has been following Government guidelines and will continue to deliver a high level of care and support to patients in care homes.
The case comes after The Telegraph reported last week that another care home boss claimed he had to accept two patients who had recently been discharged from hospital, only one of whom had been tested for coronavirus.
David Crabtree, who manages two homes in Bingley, Yorkshire, said that “without a shadow of a doubt” residents had died from coronavirus after he reluctantly took the patients in.
Mr Crabtree said the hospital’s actions were in line with Government guidance at the time, but he had refused to take in someone who had possibly been infected. He claimed the hospital threatened to report him to social services if he maintained his stance.
“There were pressures to take in people who hadn’t been tested,” he said, and later took the patients in. “Within three days, both had a fever. Within 10 days, both had died.”
According to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics, almost 15,000 care residents are estimated to have died of Covid-19.
Giving evidence to the health and social care select committee hearing on Tuesday, Professor Martin Green OBE, the chief executive of Care England, which represents care home businesses, said ministers had been preoccupied with protecting the NHS and had failed to put care homes on an equal footing.
He criticised the discharge of patients to homes, saying those who either “didn’t have a Covid-19 status or were symptomatic were discharged into care homes” full of people with underlying health conditions.
The Department for Health and Social Care has been contacted for comment.