Two siblings of the 13-year-old boy who became the UK’s youngest coronavirus victim have started showing symptoms of the illness.

Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab was laid to rest on Friday without any of his nearest family in attendance after they were again forced into self-isolation by the virus. 

Poignant pictures showed the teenager’s coffin being carried by men wearing full protective equipment, while mourners paid quiet respect from a distance at the Eternal Gardens Muslim Burial Ground, Chislehurst. 

Mark Stephenson, a family friend, said Ismail’s younger brother and older sister had developed a temperature and loss of taste, among the milder symptoms associated with Covid-19.

He was buried without his mother and six siblings present, after dying alone in a hospital ward earlier this week, despite having no underlying health conditions. 

Mr Stephenson, who has set up a fundraising appeal for the family, said: “Shaykh Sharif Zain will be leading the funeral and I will be delivering a short speech for the Abdulwahab family and a few close family and friends. 

“We hope that we can send a live stream of the funeral to his mother and siblings so they can be there remotely, but they are obviously devastated that they can’t be there in person again. It’s extremely upsetting for everyone involved, but they have been very moved by the warmth and very positive messages of support from people following their appeal.”

Ismail was taken for treatment at King’s College Hospital, in south London, on March 26 after developing symptoms of coronavirus several days earlier. 

He was put on a ventilator and tested positive for Covid-19 the following day, dying on March 30 when lung failure induced a cardiac arrest. 

The fundraising appeal to support his family has already raised £67,000. 

Source Article