An estimated 10,000 people attended last year’s service, in which the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge and the Duke of Sussex all laid wreaths at the Cenotaph.
The Department for Culture, Media and Sport said this year’s local Remembrance events should comply with social distancing rules and restrictions on the number of people permitted to meet outside where applicable.
Gatherings involving more than six “will need to be organised by a business, a charitable, benevolent or philanthropic institution or a public body” and will require a risk assessment to be carried out.
For those in Tier 3 areas under the most severe restrictions, Remembrance Sunday gatherings should be limited to people there as part of their work, those providing voluntary services, members of the Armed Forces, veterans and their representatives or carers, according to guidance. Spectators should watch on their own.
Bob Gamble, the assistant director of commemorative events for the Royal British Legion, said: “The decision not to proceed with the annual march past the Cenotaph has been taken by the Government based on expert advice to protect the health and well-being of all those who would have been travelling to and participating in the event.
“Whilst it is deeply disappointing that the march will not be taking place this year, we can all still play a part in ensuring we mark the occasion appropriately and pay tribute to the service and sacrifice of our Armed Forces on Remembrance Sunday.
“We are encouraging people across the country to participate in their own personal moment of remembrance, whether that be watching the service on television or pausing for the two-minute silence.”